Welcome to my Blog!

Hi there, nice to have you visiting! I'm Heidi and this is the blog for Heidi Bears. Here is where I post all the happenings in my work and daily life. Here and there you'll find info on things that have caught my attention as well as the odd tutorial. I hope you enjoy your visits. I love to have feedback, so leave me a comment!

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Noro...to love or not to love...price is the question...


Yesterday was a wonderful day! I spent the morning with my group of knit buddies, sitting in the spring sunshine, eating cake and drinking cappuccinos and just chatting about life, the Universe and everything...
Since Gerry is in the US, I do not need to go into work, so I have just veg'd and wasted time doing fun * (see footnote) things...
I have had a new idea for a project using the African Flower Hexagon (have you noticed? I love this pattern...), and messed around with different colours and combinations, as a trial run for the pattern (Yes, it's still a secret...)


A couple of moons ago, I decided that I needed to find out if all the hype about the Noro range of yarns was justified. If you take a look on Ravelry, Noro seems to be side by side in the Hall of Yarn Fame, with the likes of angel wing handspun and unicorn mane roving...
Of course, in South Africa, it was impossible to find the stuff, so I ended up importing it from the States....and no, I admit to ordering NOT just one ball....

After I had to virtually trade an organ to pay the &%##?!! customs person the price of the exorbitant duty levied on the yarn when it arrived, I muttered unpleasantries all the way home, because surely I thought, no yarn can be worth that amount of money.

Strike 1....

When I opened the parcel, It was wrapped in a plastic bag and looking at the colours, I re-thought my earlier uncharitable behaviour! The colours are absolutely divine! Really saturated, intense colours in gorgeous combinations and gradations. Then I opened the plastic bag...

Strike 2....

The stuff is as hard as three day old oatmeal stuck on a spoon! Aaaaarrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!



D**m I thought! Ok...Stay Calm and Fabric Soften On... I told myself....

It was not to be. After soaking a skein in super-concentrated fabric softener, all I ended up with was Noro that needed rinsing.

NOT good.


Oh well, if life chucks lemons, chuck lemonade! See? I must be getting old...in the face of an obvious reality, I choose to ignore the 900 pound gorilla in the room...
Noro Kureyon is seemingly made from a roving spinning type action, because it has no ply, and is very uneven in places, with yarn thickness varying from 4 ply to chunky! Ugh! I even had the tragedy of the yarn committing a self destruct in places...no folks, it's not the greatest to knit or crochet with...

Strike 3...


So....despite the beautiful colours and the fanatic following, I have come to the conclusion that Noro is ok (only because of the colours), but not at that kind of cost!

I guess in fairness, it does cost less in the US and Europe, so perhaps putting up with the scratchiness, and uneveness is less of a burden, than here in SA.

But for now, I will just use up what I bought and then seek other sources of colour nirvana...

Do you love Noro Yarn? Let me know... :)

♥Heidi
*totally frivolous and absolutely necessary

20 comments:

Leptir said...

deceentaNoro to piękna włóczka, ale u mnie w Polsce jest droga....
miło u Ciebie na blogu, zapraszam do siebie,
pozdrawiam

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

What a hilarious story. LOL!!!! I have it in my stash. Don´t know why I bought it beeing so scratchy. The colors are great - and I´m planing using it for a shawl. But it´s tooo pricy for my taste....

Faerie-Dancer said...

I never really paid attention to it. My eye went to other brands, I do love Lustra and Eco Duo.

Colleen said...

I agree with you 100%. I'm not a fan of Noro. AT. ALL. Scratchy, uneven, hard to work with... just don't understand what all the fuss is about over this yarn.

Colleen said...

I agree with you 100%. Noro is rough in texture, uneven, hard to work with and not worth the price (even in the U.S.!). Do. Not. Like. :)

Jessica-Jean said...

I have some Noro, but only because I really, really wanted a particular pattern that the LYS owner had whipped up ... and would only give away to buyers of x number of skeins of Noro. Most expensive pattern I ever bought! Haven't so much as touched the Noro; it just sits colourfully in a clear plastic handbag. One day I'll make something from it. Maybe a vest? That doesn't really touch skin, so texture won't matter.

Mereknits said...

I am on both sides of the fence here, I use Noro a lot. It is scracthy but I have put it in a wool wash and it became softer. I never use Noro when the project will be close to my skin. I do love the color and yarn texture when making a shawl, vest, jacket, etc. I often find yarns that are better for certain projects, but sometimes Noro is the best. I also live in the US, so it is a lot cheaper. I have had some Noro disasters, and boy are they pricey.
Meredith

Unknown said...

I have been looking at this yarn online, we don't have it here so been thinking about purchasing it for a long time, but the price was so unreal and not being able to see or feel it I haven't done so. I am so glad you let us know what it's like now I know NOT to purchase it no matter how pretty it looks! Hope it turns out good for you seeing how beautiful all your projects are I am sure it will!
Have a wonderful day! Hugs!

A Little Bit of Me-Time said...

Hi, I've heard this said many many times. BUT I've also heard that it washes up a treat and softens up beautifully too. I made a gorgeous crochet scarf out of Noro that I was gifted, and I found in couple of spots it was a pain to use, but overall not too bad at all. I haven't washed it yet, but will drop by again after I have washed it and let you know. I'm a spinner, so having a couple of spots in the yarn that were a bit fiddly didn't bother me as I usually find that with handspun anyway.

I think all the fuss with Noro is about the gorgeous colors it comes in. You just can't beat the shades of colors in the knitted and crocheted shawls I've seen. They are divine.

I will be a Noro fan until I die, even if all just sits in my stash!!

Fantastic pattern too by the way!
Regards, Michelle in Vic

A Little Bit of Me-Time said...

Oh, and I meant to say I agree with you wholeheartedly, the price IS outrageous!! I wish I knew WHY it was so expensive!

Hillery said...

I've not used it, but touched it in the store and I would not buy it EVER!!! I guess I like the feel of yarn much better than the colors.

Hillery said...

I've not used it, but touched it in the store and I would not buy it EVER!!! I guess I like the feel of yarn much better than the colors.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

I am not a Noro fan either. I think if you are going to pay so much for a ball of the stuff then it shouldn't have a KNOT or more in the middle of the ball! Not worth the money in my opinion there is much better out there :-)

suzanne said...

Morning Heidi

Aah shame! I know what its like going to the postie all excited about getting a parcel..paying the price of the yarn and the huge bill at our end too! I have not used the yarn so cannot comment but I would have been mad too..

Have not been to knitting in ages and must come soon..

Have a great day
P.s. Just love your gorgeous bear!

Sue

Suze said...

I have one skein of Noro. It is the most expensive yarn I have ever bought. I brought it home and opened it and I have yet to use it.. It seems so harsh and not something I want on my feet.

Kelly said...

I love Noro yarn for felted purses, it has beautiful self striping and felts beautifully and then becomes softer. But to use it for anything else....I hate it. It will all of a sudden just break in the middle of a row, the unevenness that you talked about and the itchiness. I will admit the silk blends are softer but definitely not worth the cost if they are just going to break in the middle of a row!

Regina said...

Adorei seu blog, os tutoriais são otimos. Parabens. Bjdd

Anonymous said...

I feel the same, it's scratchy and icky. I like a yarn that feels lovely the minute that you touch it. I was surprised by how rough it was, I was drawn to the colour, but the feel of it was a real let-down.

Vero said...

AMO ESTAS FLORES!!!♥♥♥♥

NikkiiH said...

You need Noro Taiyo - cotton/silk bit of wool, bit of nylon, so smooth - just to die for. I adore the stuff in a rather unhealthy way (unhealthy for my Visa card) but it's just so damn yummy!

Noro Kureyon sock yarn - meh - not so much. Still have a skein sitting in my stash after listening to my mum cursing at its interminable twisting.