Welcome to my Blog!

Hi there, nice to have you visiting! I'm Heidi and this is the blog for Heidi Bears. Here is where I post all the happenings in my work and daily life. Here and there you'll find info on things that have caught my attention as well as the odd tutorial. I hope you enjoy your visits. I love to have feedback, so leave me a comment!

Friday, April 1, 2011

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week Day 5! 2KCBWDAY5


Wildcard – Embellish the story

Embellishments come in all types and forms. Some are more than purely decorative and form a practical function – pretty buttons are as much part of holding a garment together as mere decoration, and some are just there to give a piece an extra ‘something’. Blog about an embellishment, be it a zipper, amigurumi eyes or applique patch which you are either saving to use or have in the past used to decorate a project with. Write about whether you are a very minimalist kind of knitter with classic lines and timeless plain knits or whether you love all the bells and whistles or sticking sewing and otherwise attaching decoration to your pieces.


Ok, so my post today is a bit of a cop out I admit...I have been busy working on a pattern that I intend to release next week, and it is a very labour intensive project, so that took up a whole lot of time....While I was busy with this project, I kept thinking about the prompt for today's installment of Knitting and Crochet Blog Week, and my brain froze, went into hiding, and refused to cooperate ... hence, I have opted for the wild card today ! Instead of discussing embellishments, I have made up a small crocheted rose tutorial that can serve as an embellishment...

I must say, I love crocheting roses...they are so quick and easy and add instant glamour to any knitted or crocheted item....so without further ado...here's the tutorial!

I used a divine sock yarn, and a size 2mm crochet hook.



I have presented the tutorial in a different format, hoping that it will be a bit easier to follow :)


1. Chain 50.
2. Skip 3 chain stitches...you will do a dc into the next stitch along.
3. Yarn around hook...
4. Insert crochet hook into next chain stitch...
5. dc completed.
6. Chain 1.
7. Make two more dc into the same chain space as before.
8. Miss one chain stitch...you will crochet into every second chain stitch from now on for this row.
9. Into the next chain stitch (arrowed), crochet the following...2dc, ch1, 2dc



10. After step 9, your work should look like this.
11. Continue in the same manner, all along the 50 chain stitches.
12. Where you see the little bumps along the outer edge of the curling work, you will see the chain stitch between the two sets of dc's sticking out...
13. When you get to the end of your chain rope, turn your work around.
14. Insert your hook into the chain space between the two sets of dc's ...yarn around hook and draw right through the chain stitch that was on your hook, leaving you with one chain on your hook (slip stitch...)
15. Slip stitch completed.
16. Chain 3.
17. Now make 8 dc into the same space.
18. Next crochet 9dc into the following chain space between the 2 sets of dc you made in the previous round. Continue in this manner until the end of the row.


19. You've reached the end of the row.
20. Turn your work around. Here you have a choice...you can continue using the same colour yarn, or (as I have done), you can join a new colour yarn (this will add a bit of depth to the edge of the rose). Insert hook into the first set of loops (of the stitch below), and draw through the new colour yarn.
21. A close-up.
22. Yarn around hook and draw through both stitches on hook. Now you only have one stitch on your hook and it's the new colour yarn.
23. Continue making sc into both loops of the stitch below (of dc's from previous row).
24. When you have made 9 sc's , you'll get to the space between the scallops of dc. Here you make a dc into the space below FROM THE FIRST ROW , as seen in the photo.
25. Continue in this manner all along your work, until you get to the end of the row.
26. At the end of the row (you've just ended with the 9th sc of the last scallop), make a dc into the dc below, as seen in the photo.
27. Turn work around. You'll have two yarn tails...tie them together.


Tie the yarn tails together, as seen in photos 28 and 29.

Your work will naturally curl on itself. Arrange the spirals in a pleasing rose shape, and using the tails, sew up the bottom of the rose, making sure to catch enough of the base row for the rose to hold it's shape. Cut yarn tails, and enjoy!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rose is so pretty. I think I need to learn how to crochet now XD

The Gingerbread Lady said...

beautiful! Great photos - very clear tutorial :-)

Ms C @ HappyElastic said...

Beautiful! I will have to see if I can work on onto a project soon

josiekitten said...

That's a great tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

FF said...

Oh, that is a truly beautiful rose! I love it!

Julie said...

That's a wonderful tutorial! I'm very interested in making felted flowers lately, I'm going to print this out, it's a grea pattern.

Carol said...

Oooh that rose looks lovely.
Thank you for the tutorial, I hope to "have a go" at making one.
Carol xx

Alittlebitsheepish said...

This is great, the rose is really pretty and your directions look easy to follow. I think I will have to try making some of these

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Very pretty, love that yarn it looks so soft!

Marlene Pires said...

Adorei essa flor e obrigada por compartilhar o tutorial.
bjos,
Marlene

K said...

Really lovely. Another bookmark.

K said...

I am a little astonished. I thought I had commented on several of these - but I must have dreamed it. Ach - well, lovely flower, lovely tutorial, and I really liked your african flower work. Sorry. Thought I'd praised you already.

nityakalyani said...

The crochetted rose looks lovely. Lovely photos and the tutorial shared is very clear. As I know knitting will have to work on this next time.Thanks for sharing

Sharron aka Sharrahug said...

Thank you so much for the step by step tut. I will definitely be trying this.
Huggies ~
Sharron♥

Melaney said...

Thanks for the excellent tutorial! I can't wait to make the flower!

Mia said...

thank you so much, the tutorial is great and clear

Lee Ann said...

Beautiful rose - thank you! :)

_______
Lee Ann

My new blog: Crochetgottaloveit
*********
My website: Crochet...Gotta Love It!

Chelsea said...

I am confused in step 18. Do you continue doing a slip stitch, chain three, 8dc, and 9dc over and over or just the 8dc and 9dc? I have tried making this rose twice and keep getting hung up here.

Heidi said...

Hi Chelsea,
The initial slip stitch is used to get your working yarn in the correct place to make the dc's all have the same point at which their "feet " lie...ie the petal needs to be a triangular type petal shape. This first petal has a 3ch because it acts as your first dc (ie you have 3ch, then 8 dc, which together will give you 9 parts to this first petal.) When you move on to the next chain space where a petal will be crocheted, you don't need to make a slip stitch because you are crocheting directly into the chain space, ie your working yarn is already going to be in the right place to work from. Thus, you don't need to make a slip stitches after that very first petal. Each petal (from the second one you crochet on right to the end) is the made from 9dc's (no need for a 3ch)...I hope this makes things a little clearer...please let me know if you are still struggling, and I will try to help :)
Have a great day!
♥Heidi

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
joansatx said...

Thank you so very much! Just great and super pix.

Keti's Projects said...

This one is amazing. Thanks for sharing such a detailed tutorial. I'll give it a try.

Hugs from Slovenia, Keti

Here's Light said...

Thanks, Heidi, for the beautiful, crystal-clear instructions for the self-curling rose. I am keen to start a rose as soon as possible.

dolls said...

Thank you! Your instructions are great! My first rose ever is beautiful. Thanks again!

dolls said...

Thank you! Great instructions!