Welcome to my Blog!

Hi there, nice to have you visiting! I'm Heidi and this is the blog for Heidi Bears. Here is where I post all the happenings in my work and daily life. Here and there you'll find info on things that have caught my attention as well as the odd tutorial. I hope you enjoy your visits. I love to have feedback, so leave me a comment!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week Day 3! 2KCBWDAY3


Day Three: 30th March. Tidy mind, tidy stitches.

How do you keep your yarn wrangling organised? It seems like an easy to answer question at first, but in fact organisation exists on many levels. Maybe you are truly not organised at all, in which case I am personally daring you to try and photograph your stash in whatever locations you can find the individual skeins. However, if you are organised, blog about an aspect of that organisation process, whether that be a particularly neat and tidy knitting bag, a decorative display of your crochet hooks, your organised stash or your project and stash pages on Ravelry.




Ok, so today's post is really late and the photos taken at night in a hurry, so not my finest work :(
However, I was determined to blog and keep up to date with blog week, so here it is...

Really, the photos are an exercise in how to make things look neater and tidier than they actually are...and also for the very first time, Ladies and Gentlemen...the reveal of the shamefully huge stash that I have amassed...yes, believe it or not, I have never posted/taken photos of this hoard before (partly out of shame, and partly out of a sense of fear that I will have to organise it...).


I have a very small guest bedroom that I have annexed as my stash room and have several wall units for books etc...and of course part of the yarn stash. It's all very cluttered, but in truth I actually like to be surrounded by clutter (clean clutter kind you...). No, I am certainly not minimalist in any sense of the word...
Above is the left hand side of the pure cottons, and on the right hand side the rest of the cotton, the mohair, cashmere, and of course my beloved sock yarn.


Above is the undyed yarn that still has to be packed into ziplock bags (with a bit of soap), so that the dreaded M***s cannot get to them...


Undyed yarn and some divine cotton above, nearly ready for packing away...


More yarn (the pinks on the right I dyed up last night...cashmere, silk, alpaca sock yarn...divine!), needing to be tucked safely into zippies....



On the other side of my hoarders cave, is a wall cupboard, again filled with yarn. Here I keep the pure merino, handspun merino, silks, more cashmere, angora, and my superwash DK merino. Also there are some odds and ends...


The plastic suitcases towards the lower shelves have an alpaca blend...the suitcases are great for storing...



Some of my needles and interchangeables I keep in a handy cutlery tray... as well as some other tools...


Knitting needles and crochet hooks are also stored in pretty tins and more cutlery holders...





There is still quite a bit of yarn all over the house, and here I have a small rack in the kitchen next to my seat at our kitchen table...I mostly sit here and knit and crochet...

Well, a whirlwind tour...it's really late here in SA, so I'll say goodnight ...

11 comments:

kim said...

Wow! that is alot of yarn!! I really like the cabinets, I'd like do that with our extra room someday.

Anonymous said...

Those pink yarns are amazing. And so bright. I love the idea of those cute tin bin things for storage. I think I shall copy it XD

Stefanie said...

Just, "WOW!"

Sarah ~ Crafts from the Cwtch said...

Wow. This is the kind of stash i've been waiting all day to see. So glad you posted!

Anonymous said...

Oooooh. Look at all of those empty top shelves just WAITING for more yarn! :) Seriously, what a beautiful stash. Envy. PINK with envy. If hubby ever (not that he would/does) complains about me buying yarn, I'm going to show him your photos. ;)

Fay Lynn said...

Well you have company. Today was the first day I put up pics of my stash too. I am so glad to be in such good company!!

I love all you die colors!!

Linda said...

Oh my goodness my friend! Such wonderful yarn! Lovely to see:)
xo
Linda

Chrissy said...

I want your stash, and your organising skills. Can you come and sort my house out please? I'll pay you in chocolate and wine.

Unknown said...

Well, what can I say :D - what good company I keep!

do you mind if i knit said...

I'm very, very impressed with your yarn stash, and I thought mine was large!!!!!!!!!!!! And it's all beautifully tidy, that to me is a beautiful yarn stash! I'm also impressed with your knitting machine, and how you joined two of them together, wow! And I do have to say, your yarn you dye, the colours are gorgeous, really, really lovely. Love Vanessa xxx

K said...

Cluttered. I have to laugh. You are so neat and organized. Not like my mass of things - and I don't even remember what yarns are wool and what are blends - it's all helter skelter. I envy you. It's that scientific mind of yours -