Welcome to my Blog!

Hi there, nice to have you visiting! I'm Heidi and this is the blog for Heidi Bears. Here is where I post all the happenings in my work and daily life. Here and there you'll find info on things that have caught my attention as well as the odd tutorial. I hope you enjoy your visits. I love to have feedback, so leave me a comment!

Monday, March 28, 2011

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week Day 1 is here! 2KCBWDAY1

2KCBWDAY1

Yay! Knitting and Crochet Blog Week has arrived! March was a really bad blogging month for me , but I am determined to blog every day for Blog Week :) A lot of stuff happened in March, and after blog week, I will devote some time to that...until then...here's Day 1 's post!



Let me start off by saying that I just LOVE yarn...I love the feel, the smell, the colours, the promise of something being created from it...I love that you can make an awesome FO from what comes down to sticks and string :)

That being said...I have to admit to being the most terrible yarn snob *blush*... I am of the opinion that if you are going to spend a long time making something, you better make it from a great quality yarn, or not bother at all...yes, I know...not an attitude shared by all, but works for me... :)

My favourite types of fibre are cashmere, alpaca, angora, silk and cotton and merino. I especially love a wonderful sock yarn from Fyberspates called Nef sock yarn. This is a wonderful blend of Cashmere, Alpaca and Silk, and is surely the softest yarn that I have ever touched. It is simply the ultimate in sock luxury...

When it comes to DK yarns, I adore Dana's hand-dyed superwash merino. This is a wonderfully soft, squishy , balanced yarn, with a fantastic twist...so no splitting my dears! I have way too much of this stuff in my stash, because it is so divine to knit with... I am making a huge blanket from this yarn...I will post photos of the completed blankie later this week. The stitch definition is fantastic, and it is available in a huge array of colours...




One type of yarn that I love for it's look and feel, but absolutely cannot knit with... is Bouclé Mohair. For some reason I always get my needle points stuck in the loops of yarn, making me pick up stitches, drop stitches, tear the yarn...a nightmare! So, although it is a wonderful yarn, I don't buy it anymore because of this problem...

Other yarn brands that I love are Rowan (Milk Cotton, Handknit Cotton, Kidsilk Mohair), Colourspun (DK Cotton and Aran Cotton), and Fyberspates (Angora/Merino Lace)...

Tomorrow I will tell you about a skill I learned recently, and why I am so pleased with it!

7 comments:

Kasia said...

Beautiful colors! I love working with DK yarns, especially when it's merino.
Happy knitting and blogging,
Kasia

Ms C @ HappyElastic said...

Love those stripes!

AC said...

Nothing wrong with being a yarn snob. Ugh, boucle. It's a dirty word.

Anonymous said...

That Dana yarn is beautiful -- those colors are just amazing.

Boucle yarn is on my no-no list, as well as polyester. :-)

Stefanie said...

Yeah! Another fan of superwash. What awesome colors Dana makes. That mohair stuff looks so interesting but I cringe at the hassle you experienced.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Oooh thats the second thumbs up for that Fiberspates yarn, it must be good!

My Aunty (who is also South African) once said to me that she was glad I had discovered the joy on turning a piece of yarn into something 3 dimensional...its great isn't it :-)

Anonymous said...

I won some of Dana's cotton hand-dyed yarn in a contest. It's just waiting for the right project.

You're so right about how wonderful her yarn is.